Fairmile B Motor Launch RML 536
Fairmile ‘B’ RML (Rescue Motor Launch) no. 526, was built in 1942 and saw active service during the Second World War. Used primarily to rescue allied airmen who had had to ditch in the Channel, she saw her fair share of action. She was one of the lead vessels guiding in the Allied invasion force to the Normandy beaches on D-day.
After the war she was sold into private hands, first in Spain and then for many years – and re-named Western Lady 4 – based at Brixham in Devon carrying tourists on trips”’round the bay”‘. After being sold for conversion into a private yacht (only partially completed) she was acquired in 2011 by her present owners, with the intention of restoring her to her original wartime profile.